Wednesday, November 19, 2014

First Stop Finland

We made it! Our travel day Monday was a long one. We left home at 11:30 Sunday morning and didn't pull into Muonio until about 10 Monday night. We are seven hours ahead here, so we shouldn't have been tired when we arrived last night, but after such a long travel day, we all passed out quite easily. It's dark in Muonio. Really dark. When we pulled in last night I couldn't see anything, but when I woke up this morning, it was winter! Sunrise is at about 10 am and sunset is at about 2:30 pm, so our hours of daylight are very limited, but it was a pretty clear day with some beautiful lighting for our morning ski yesterday. I'm skiing with one pole for another week, but I'm really excited to be back on snow.

Muonio sunrise

Two of my favorite things - Sadie and snow!
My final two weeks at home flew by way too fast. I enjoyed spending time with friends and family while still getting in some good training. November weather in Vermont can be hit or miss, but we were lucky to have quite a bit of sunshine, not too much rain, and even a little snow! I did a lot of running on the dirt roads near my house, enjoyed my mom's home-cooked meals, and spent time with the SMS girls who I probably won't see until Spring Series.
Back road running with my SMS T2 girls

Snowy hike up Mt. Equinox with my sister

Running intervals up Mad Tom Notch road

Hike up Bromley on my final day in VT with Iz an Sim
I'll miss you too, Leroy.

On our final evening at home, we had an SMS T2 sendoff and fundraiser party. Thank you to everyone who came. We're extremely lucky to be a part of such a supportive community and I couldn't have thought of a better way to spend our last evening home!
Thanks to Hubert for the photos!

"Look relaxed"
We are in Munio until Tuesday when we head to Kuusamo for the first World Cups of the year. I will not be racing in Kuusamo, but I will start working in my second pole when I get there and I'll be ready to get out and cheer my teammates on as they kick some butt.


No comments:

Post a Comment